Tuesday, November 25, 2008

No-Buy No More

Well, our 30 days of financial fast are over...yippee! It was a great experiment, and went well, overall. In the end, we managed to save about $650 total between food, household supplies, and fun money. That was enough to bring my food budget back into the black and almost my clothing budget as well. That feels great! Now as the end of the year approaches I can know that we will hit pretty close to the mark on our budgeted expenses, which makes me breathe easier.

Thirty days of different spending habits have made some differences in the way I spend now. The biggest change is in how I assess our needs vs. wants. The past month showed me that there are MANY things that really aren't needs, but rather, are wants. My family and I can get by (for awhile at least) without orange juice, Oreo's, Saturday morning donuts, raw sugar, granola bars, graham crackers, Papa Murphy's pizza, and yes, even chocolate chips. Cutting these kinds of things out saved a bundle! It is good to have a fresh appreciation for what my family truly needs.

I also learned to buy less. Use up what is in the pantry and freezer first, buy what is needed to cover the rest. I used to think I saved a lot of money by stocking up on stuff when it was on sale--enough to make it through to the next sale. And Sam's Club has been a wicked temptation in that area. It is easy to spend way past my budget with the sneaky excuse of, "but I'm saving so much!" Then, with my mounds of frozen chicken nuggets and triple packs of brownies and dozen loaves of bread in the freezer I would go through food much more quickly, figuring, "well, I've got so much of it, anyway...might as well use it up!" Buying just for one week causes you to be much more careful about the supplies that you have. I don't think I'll be going to Sam's anymore.

Thirdly, we've now switched back to a cash budget. Can't spend what's not in the envelope.

I'm glad the month is over, to be honest. It took more brain-power to figure out my meals, and I really do need a haircut. It's not fun to be too tight-wadish for too long; I'm thankful to loosen up a bit. But I probably will try to repeat this exercise once or twice a year from now on. It's just a great way to recalibrate the financial compass and get back on track. Plus, I really just like the idea of not buying so much stuff. I have too much as it is, which means that I have to spend more time taking care of it, figuring it out, repairing it, cleaning it, etc. It's good to remember that there's really not that much we need.

Except chocolate chips.

7 comments:

Jeff Burton said...

Orange juice? Beware of scurvy.

Naomi said...

Well done Jen! Thanks for sharing your experience. I am ready to come highlight your hair anytime!

LadyD said...

And Golden Graham's Cereal.
And Mini Marshmallows.....
Layer in a bowl with those chocolate chips you have, nuke for a minute, and enjoy a Smore's Bowl.
Alone.
After the kids are in bed:)

kristi noser said...

Nice job, Jen. You really worked hard at the saving and it sure paid off!

Kara Jo said...

You've been an inspiration, my friend. :) I've enjoyed shopping with you, too.

Naomi, will you highlight my hair, too?

Naomi said...

KJ- I'd love to. You should come over at the same time I'm doing Jen's hair and we'll all make a date of it!

Anonymous said...

My husband "wanted" me to keep my natural color (which is pretty similar to Karin's), but I told him I could not stand going to the beauty shop that much so as more white comes in, less of my natural color remains. Plus I have a hard time thinking of coloring or high lighting my hair as a "need". So I have learned that what someone else considers a "need" may not be for me even a "want"!