Thursday, November 06, 2008

Half-Way

So we've passed the half-way mark of our month of no-buying and overall, things are going well. Week 2 of food was purchased for $44, still well under my goal of $60. This week I've fallen off the wagon a couple of times...groceries only came to $52 but I ran out to grab a Papa Murph's on election night and took the boys out for Wendy's on the way back from a concert at Orchestra Hall. But I've only dropped $22 in three weeks at Target, so I'm ahead now in that category.

It's actually been a nice reprieve from spending time and energy thinking about buying stuff. And I am still having fun being creative and using up old food from my cupboards. Last week I made banana cream pie (even made the crust!) and only had to buy CoolWhip to go on top. And the kids loved the almond bark-dipped pretzels I made for a snack after school. Not everything has gone well, however. The frozen dough I pulled out to make rolls for dinner tonight must have been in the freezer a bit too long...they were closer to hockey pucks than anything else.

And I do need to make one disclaimer for this whole thing: we had a freezer full of ground bison meat (thank-you Mom!) and a couple of frozen chickens, so that has helped a lot, and my Dad came into town for a week, so we got to eat out several times. My totals would be higher if not for those facts. But I am still amazed at how much I can save when I focus on eating up what I already have and not buy extra stuff not on the menu for the week. It's been a great exercise.

So, altogether I've cut our food budget shortfall in half and am now $100 in the black on household supplies (ie Target). I do notice, however, that my list of stuff to buy after the 30 days are up is starting to grow. Let's see: paint, a new computer-headset connector, fabric softener, lipstick, hair color and highlights, and oh yeah--a haircut (long overdue!). I may need a chaperone to accompany me to Target that first trip back...any volunteers?

5 comments:

LadyD said...

Shelby will go with you. She will be so busy attacking Cait, that you will get absolutely NO shopping done because you will be so busy trying to save your daughter:)
Just tell me which day to bring her up~

NoOtherName said...

Ha! That might be just what I need to get me in and out of there without spending every nickel I've saved this month!

Kara Jo said...

Chaperone--pick me, pick me! :) Just kidding. I want to help you pick out paint and hair color--hair color--that's a first for ya, isn't it?

You continue to be an inspiration, Jen. I've been all the more motivated to focus on using what I have on hand, too.

NoOtherName said...

Yup. I've finally had it with my greys. That could be another blog post on it's own!

Anushka said...

Good work, thrifty. My husband could beat you at your own game, though. I swear that man could live on dryer lint if he needed to, he's so good at differentiating between "needs" and "wants" ~ me? i usually need what i want. We are looking forward to a simple Christmas this year ~ gift and activity wise. Food? well,ya gotta have eggnog and appetizers... love, nush