Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Day 3: The First Test

If you're confused about what this post is about, check out my previous post for some context...

Today was my day to shop for the week's groceries. I spent extra time over the past few days looking through my cupboards for things we can eat up this week. Last night I finished my list and tried to calculate how much I would need to spend on my necessary supplies. I figured I could probably get it all for about $45, well under my goal of $60 (which is half what we budget to spend each week). Well, I got everything I needed and it only came to $36.26! WAHOO! Look at me and my bad self! And I didn't even set foot in Target...we all know what happens when you go there.

It will be tough to continue this level of savings as the month goes by, but right now I'm thrilled. Aldi is my best friend. But besides that, I truly did not realize how much I have in my kitchen already and how much I can do with it. The bananas on their way to mushville have now been transformed into banana bread for the kids' after school snack. And that box of cherry jell-o is dessert for tonight. It feels good to use stuff up.

Thanks to those of you who offered costumes for Jay. I think we've got a good one lined up through Pam. Jay decided he wants to be Prince Caspian, so he'll be dressed in knight regalia, thanks to Stuey. And can I just say that I love the idea of asking each other for this kind of thing? I mean, do we all have to own everything? Let's borrow more and buy less, I say! What do you guys think?

14 comments:

erin said...

I say, YES!
Good work, Jen.
I'm trying the program, too(though I did treat myself to an iced coffee today).
Cool story: I had to go to the mall AND Target yesterday to make some returns. Typically, I spend about $30 at each place, every time I set foot in either one. Instead of spending that $60, I didn't look around or cruise the clearance racks. I just went home--in the black.
Then, our bill today at the vet came to just over $60.
Now, I know I didn't necessarily SAVE $60 by not spending $60, but instead of spending money foolishly, it was there when we really needed it--and only 24 hours later.
All this to say, thanks for inspiring me to give it a try.

NoOtherName said...

Yay! Way to go, Erin! I'm excited to know someone else is in this with me. Keep me posted.

Willow and Sprout said...

Way to go! Good for you!

Kara Jo said...

You go girl! That must just feel fantastic. :) I love the intentional using up of what we've got around already. You've inspired me to do more of that this week! You thrifty girl, you.

Anonymous said...

Jen! Like I said, Jared and I are right there with you doing the whole no-buy challenge. Yesterday was our first day. So I went right to it, and found a recipe for lentil stew, which turned out delicious!! Who knew we liked lentils?! We have bags and bags of them from WIC, I just never took the time to learn how to prepare them. Anyways, I would love to share ideas along the way with you. As soon as I need to get creative, I pass along anything I come up with. Thanks for the website by the way!

Unknown said...

Good job Jen. Here's to many good feasts with them cream o' mushroom soup cans you have. :)

LadyD said...

Hi All, I am changing the name
of my blog to:
"Never A Dull Moment"
and the new address will be-
http://neveradullmoment-ladyd. blogspot.com
Sorry for the work :( if you could please change your Heart of Hospitality Link-
Thanks Blogger Buddies:)

Anushka said...

Really great idea, Jen -a

Jennifer Nordin, LMT, CPT said...

Spending less can be so beneficial for the environment too, since less waste ends up in our landfills, oceans, and atmosphere! A great way to "go green" is definitely to spend less green! I am cautious about going too "cheap" on foods and synthetic chemical/petroleum based body care products. In the short run, the checkbook ledger might look better, but the lack of investment in our family's nutrition can back fire into major health care costs in the future. Not just for this generation but also those that follow.

NoOtherName said...

Yep. I can attest to what the guy in the RD article says, "nutrition pretty much goes out the window" when you're trying to not spend for a month. Thankfully, it is only a month.

LadyD said...

You aren't seriously affecting the nutrition of your children Jen, are you? Is that what you are saying? For a whole month? Please tell us that is not the case. I thought you were going to be buying fresh fruits and veggies every week. If you aren't that is going TOO far. It only takes one serious illness to have a major problem. Especially this time of year. Please clarify that your family is not hungry, so we can understand....Money is not more important than your children...I know you must know that.

NoOtherName said...

No, no, no...we are not starving over here! I would not put my family in jeopardy by depriving them of decent food just so we can save a few bucks. I was responding to Jennifer's comment about eating "cheap" foods. We are eating more simply, with less of a concern for PERFECT nutrition, but with plenty of fruits and veggies and the basics we all need. Don't worry--I'd be asking to eat over a lot more if we were that bad off! :)

Jennifer Nordin, LMT, CPT said...

I certainly wasn't making any accusations! My comment was just my own personal philosophy of reduce, reuse, recycle, but invest wisely in nutrition and wellness. It definitely is a different concept to think of grocery shopping as making an "investment". While dreadfully mundane at times, it is one of the very important things that we moms (and dads) do that can shape the health of an entire generation. I want our son to grow up with the awareness that it is more important to invest money in staying well and serving others than spending it on toys,video games, expensive clothes and cars, ball game tickets, etc. Not an easy task, but with God's help, I am determined to remain intentionally vigilant! :)

Bria said...

Jen, I want to hear more! When's the next post coming?