Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Karin's Faith

My little girl became a follower of Jesus today. We've been talking about her Cubbies verses lately. Verses like Romans 3:23, "all have sinned," and Romans 5:8, "while we were sinners, Christ died for us." Yesterday as we reviewed them I told Karin what it meant that Jesus had saved us. I asked her if she's ever sinned. She said yes--that she'd kicked her brother. I told her that the punishment for her sin is Hell. But then I explained that Jesus came and died so she could go to Heaven instead--if she said she was sorry for her sins and asked him to be her Savior. If she ever wanted to do so that I said I would help her. Then I waited to see if she would take the opportunity... but she went on to something else.

But then today she and I were just sitting down for our gourmet lunch of chicken nuggets when out of the blue she stated, "we should pray and ask God about being the Savior" (or something along those lines). Once I figured out what she meant we talked it through a bit more and she repeated after me in a 4-year-old's prayer of confession and faith. So simple. So beautiful. It was like seeing a lightbulb go on in her heart and a new life born.

As I said after Ethan prayed to receive Christ, I know this is not the end, but only the beginning. Her tender faith must be nurtured, prayed for, and encouraged in order for it to grow and be strong and sure. Salvation is not a once-in-a-lifetime event. It is a life-consuming reality. But today was Karin's first step of the journey, and by God's grace, I believe I will be spending eternity alongside my sweet daughter--and now, my sister in Christ.

All thanks and praise to our gracious God who grants the miracle of faith to even the smallest of children!

"...I tell you, there is rejoicing in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents." --Luke 15:10

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jen what an amazing story! It has brought tears to my eyes. I will pray for Karin as she goes along her faith journey, that she will be nurtured and have an all-consuming relationship with God.

Kara Jo said...

Jen, that's precious. I can see why you were anxious for me to read this post! What a dear moment, and how wonderful that you recorded the details for Karin to someday read and look back on--and remember how her journey began.

Kathy Steppa said...

Jen,
I am so happy to hear about Karin's decision. It has been exactly nine months since Great Pa-Pa died, so I will always be able to remember when Karin accepted Christ.
I feel sad because I miss Great Pa-Pa, but glad that Karin has made this decision.
Mom

erin said...

Wonderful!