Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Intercession Needed

Brothers and sisters, pray for me. What small shred of sanity I may or may not have been in possession of two weeks ago is rapidly disappearing...

For a long LONG time now we have planned on renovating our kitchen. The 36 inches of countertop (not including the top of the washing machine conveniently located at the end of the counter) just didn't cut it for a family of six. Add to this that everything has been breaking down or falling apart. First it was the floor coming up. Next it was the front of the silverware drawer falling off. Then, the portable dishwasher stopped working and the door to the pantry fell off. And then one day (this one's my favorite), as I went to adjust the temperature on the oven, the knob fell off...and SHATTERED on the top of the range, thereby making it pretty difficult to tell what temp. the oven was at. It had become painfully obvious that a new kitchen was not a want, but a need.

A couple of weeks ago we decided to go for it. The carpenter (Vonda's dad) whom we were planning to do the work became available to do the project, and Brian had some time off left for the year. So, last week we spent several days gutting the existing room, right down to the studs and joists. There was paneling, then drywall, then lathe boards, then wool insulation. There were two layers of linoleum, two layers of wood floor, and then subfloor. At points the dusty debris was close to a foot high before we'd shovel it in the garbage can and wheel it to the dumpster.
Yuck!

Now we have a bare room that is starting to be slowly rebuilt. But since last Sunday when we pulled out the appliances and sink we have been without a downstairs water source, a stove, or laundry facilities (remember the conveniently located washing machine). I have set up a mock kitchen in our school room (which also has one wall gone leaving a gaping hole into the kitchen) with a microwave, toaster oven, and plastic container holding water that I use like a sink. Every morning I think of Little House on the Prairie as I "fetch" water from the bathtub upstairs.

Those of you who have kitchens realize that they are pretty important in the daily functioning of a household. And although I know it is going to be a glorious improvement when the project is done in about a month or so, I'm just pretty darn crabby about the whole thing in the meantime. At this point I am fairly certain that I will never again have a house that is in order--too many things have been shoved in too many corners to deal with later. My days are filled with researching appliances, running over to Lamperts to choose new doors and windows, phone calls to the plummer, the lumber yard, the dumpster guy. And with Christmas in only 22 more days, well, it's just a new level of crazy over here.

So if the name Jen Crim or the word kitchen comes to mind over these next few weeks, please follow the prompting of the Holy Spirit and fervently intercede on my behalf, as well as for my family, who has to live with the crazed woman without a kitchen. It's one day at a time over here, and 2009 just can't come fast enough!

9 comments:

Keithslady said...

I will certainly remember you before the throne of grace! I am relating in my memory right now. We moved into our "needs work" (understatement) home ten years ago and I'm still trying to get to those 'stuff-it' corners after replacing flooring, adding countertops, new septic, new well, addition, dry wall dust, ripped up carpet, painting, rebuilding, tearing out, building up, fixing, and making do with.

Think "luxury camping", think sandwiches and cold cereal, think of inviting yourself out for dinner to your friends' homes! You're invited here if you want to make the 3+ hour drive!

NoOtherName said...

"Luxury camping"...I like that!

Willow and Sprout said...

Oh I will certainly pray! I remember when I was a nanny for Martens & pregnant with number 2, trying to function without their kitchen. NO FUN! It gets old very quickly. If you ever want to drive up, you are invited. Also, remember to think crock pot when you are sick of sandwiches!

LadyD said...

Oh Dear Jen.
My first thought was to send Jerry over to help, but I need him!
:)
So- My second thought is, "You Can Do This!" You are Terminator Mom!
You might have to eat alot of preservatives for awhile, but it is only a month, too bad this wasn't your "no spend" month!
Hit the frozen foods isle and microwave as much as you can, I like the idea of using the crock-pot too! Much healthier. There is tons of crock pot recipes on the web. A really easy one is to throw in 2 lbs of chicken, and two packets of mild taco seasoning with the water, let it cook all day and then just shred it up in the crock pot with a fork. Spoon it onto tortillas and make up some chicken taco's. The kids like it with cheese, lettuce, sour cream, ect.
Hot Pockets now are made with breakfast flavors, and the lunch ones aren't too bad. And you can nuke Salisbury Steaks for Dinner and they turn out the same as if they had been baked in the oven. Research some microwave recipes, I have even heard you can make a really good chocolate cake in the microwave.....
Sorry for the book:)

Oh ya- and they make these fun bagels in the freezer section now that have different flavors of cream cheese already in the middle, they are kind of like a breadstick, I think the girls would love them!
I knew a family once that did all of their dishes in the bath tub & let them dry there, it is a great use of space:)

Kara Jo said...

Love LadyD's comments. And I love you! I would be going crazy right about now, too. I'd be grumpy Mama Bear!

I like the crock pot ideas, too. And you can come over here again any time to make your dinner--or maybe I will plan ahead and make dinner for all of us.

Anonymous said...

I am only a block away and granted my tiny little place would be a tight fit you are you welcome in my little slice of heave to escape the insanity. The door is often unlocked and there is usual something in the fridge or in the cupboards. Come in, turn the space heater on and breath deep Friend.

Farf

PS - and yes I will be praying.

Carla said...

Jen,
Praying for you. It really is going to be awesome when it is done!! Half-pint, this too shall pass. Love you.

erin said...

I will be praying for you, friend.
Also, I'm going to be trying that chicken taco idea!

Bria said...

How is the remodeling coming? Is there a light yet at the end of the tunnel? I bet you have some interesting stories to share about this experience...or at least they will seem interesting a few months down the road when it's all done.