Friday, December 26, 2008

Karinisms

Karin continues to make us smile with her four-year-old thoughts and words. Here are a few that have cracked me up or warmed my heart lately...

  • After ordering and listening to the worker announce our total through the speaker of the Taco Johns drive-through, Karin's voice came from the back: "why does she live in that box (referring to the attendant)?"
  • At a recent dinnertime the conversation turned to what our bodies will be like when Jesus returns and takes us home with him. Of primary concern for the three kids was what color we will be. Jay hopes to be golden. Ethan said he wants a golden head, but a normal everything else. And then Karin weighed in: "I want to have a dark brown body, just like Eva (her best friend, recently adopted from India)!"
  • Christmas morning, as Karin enjoyed her new wooden kitchen from Mom and Dad, she suddenly informed/asked me, "I've been thinking about if God likes bacon."
  • Karin's understanding of the intangible has been growing everyday, especially since she asked Jesus to be her savior earlier this fall. The other day, as I was leaving her to take her usual rest time in an unfamiliar place (we were staying with friends while our house was being worked on), I attempted to reassure her by letting her know that she would be in the room alone but I would be nearby. "But God will be with me," she replied.

In a book lent to me by a friend recently, God's Whisper in a Mother's Chaos, the author says that God "most often... uses the people around us to guide us and teach us," usually the ones we are with the most.

For me that would be my kids, and of the ones that are home all day and that talk intelligibly, that would be Karin.

I think I'll be listening a little closer...she says great stuff!

6 comments:

Kara Jo said...

I love it! I love how their brains work at this age. Living in the "box" at the to go window--ha!
Tell Karin I'm pretty sure God likes bacon...and cinnamon rolls.

Anonymous said...

Karin was the first one to come up and greet me when she got to our house for Christmas Eve. It is amazing to me how Karin has changed since she stayed with us when Caitlyn was being born.
I asked busy Cait if she wanted to sit in my lap in the big rocking chair on Christmas Eve and she said "NO" but Karin said "I will, Gramma".
P.S. to Kara Jo -- Thanks for the heads up on the Parents' cell phone for Cait which I was able to find at Target on sale for $8 in silver (they were out of pink). Cait really enjoyed that phone for a good hour before she went back to pushing every button we had in the house. My husband finally figured out how she disables his huge television by following her and watching which button she pushed!
I'm glad that Jay prayed for a girl because Karin is really special!
Mom

Anonymous said...

I read my comment after I had already posted it and realize that I should have added that I am very happy that I have Jay, Ethan and Cait, too! They are all special!
It was so sweet to see Karin's concern for Ethan when he got in the large box and we started throwing wrapping paper in there. I know he loved it, but Karin was scared for her brother. She has a very sensitive heart.
Mom

erin said...

I think God likes bacon, too.

Keithslady said...

I love children-isms. They have such a wonderful, fresh, innocent perspective on life that helps bring us all back to earth!

Emily Voye said...

Karin is the cutest little girl. =] I am teaching an art class now and I'm learning so much from the little kids. =] Just shows us that God uses everything for His glory. =]