Friday, January 11, 2008

My Baby Girl

Just about one year ago exactly my precious Caitlyn took her first breath after a few hours of easy labor, a few minutes of hard labor, one crazy ride to the hospital, and 45 minutes of really-not-fun-pushing. I was amazed and thrilled that God had given me another girl. Our bond was instant and strong.

To say that this year has gone by quickly would be an understatement; it has been the fastest year of my life. And, as a deeply sentimental person, I shed some tears last night as I contemplated my last baby's farewell to her first year. But I promised myself in the hospital not to miss out on her life by dwelling in sadness, trying in vain to keep her from growing up. I decided then and there to celebrate her life and enjoy her for who she is everyday, and that's what I'm going to do today.

Who is Cait? She is a bright, lively, affectionate little girl who loves to snuggle with her mommy and daddy. She can often be seen touching her forehead to someone else's whom she loves-- her big sister or brothers or even our new kitty. She crawls and babbles, rolls a ball back and forth with a willing playmate, loves pears and blueberries, signs "all done" when she's finished, and hates wearing her winter coat with a passion. She is God's precious gift to me, the child whom we had debated whether to try for and for whom I prayed earnestly when Brian wasn't sure he wanted to go for #4. Pure blessing from a good and boundlessly loving God, she is and always will be, my baby.

9 comments:

Pam said...

Happy Birthday Cait. You were literally prayed into this life. So happy we all get to be apart of the joy you bring.

-V- said...

Love our little Cait... Jen, you're beautiful, babe. Thanks for sharing your joy...

LadyD said...

I need a box of Kleenex, beautiful story Jen. Our girls are our last little blessings, little is an understatement....... Shelby is the Joy of my life!

Happy Birthday Cait!
Love,
Your GirlPal Shelby

Anonymous said...

That story brought out all of my 'mommy emotions'. :) Cait gets cuter every time I see her. Tell her that Micah says "Happy Birthday!".

theswamphare said...

Nicely Done! Congratulations and happy birthday!

Mawk and Cheryl

Carla said...

Happy First, Cait!!

Naomi said...

There are tears in my eyes. She is beautiful. I love how adoringly you speak of your little girl.

Anonymous said...

I'm crying. What a gift Cait is. And how precious life is. Thank you, Lord.

Happy Birthday Sweet Pea. You cute little thumb sucker, you!

Fish Gram-ma said...

Jen,
I should have listened to you last night when I was crawling behind Cait trying to snap her onesie. She is definitely a young woman on the move! I just could not resist getting that last snap snapped.
Cait is lots of fun and I'm so glad she's my granddaughter.
Love,
Fish Gram-ma