Tuesday, January 15, 2008

He Loves Me

I went over tonight to see PaPa and was shocked to see how much he had declined. Just yesterday he went to church and to see Gramma at the nursing home. Tonight he is in a hospital bed (brought into his bedroom by hospice), hooked up to oxygen, unable to keep even 2 bites of soup down, on morphine, with a tiny frail voice. When I got there he said, "I really went in the dumper today." He was only awake for a few minutes after I arrived, but he told me he loved me, I told him I loved him, and he told me to say hi to my boys. "Be at peace, PaPa. Rest," I said, to which he replied, "I am". It was so hard to leave.

I learned more about him tonight as my mom, step-dad, uncle, and three cousins sat around looking at old photos and talking. My PaPa once held the door open for John F. Kennedy, and hung out with one of his former Secret Servicemen. As an employee of Honeywell and the director of their transportation, he worked on projects for the Air Force and NASA and subsequently met several of the Apollo mission astronauts. And he loves the TV series "24" (Brian and my favorite show).

Why is it that we only find out how amazing someone is when they are leaving? Why didn't I pay more attention to all of his stories? Why didn't I spend more time with him as I grew older? How did I miss the fact that he is so remarkable?

Brian will be going over tomorrow morning, and beyond that, I don't know. I don't even know if he will make it that long.

But I do know he loves me.

5 comments:

Carla said...

Gorgeous picture. Loving you and praying you through, dear friend.

Pam said...

Dear Friends,

Jen's Papa passed away last night. How wonderful it has been to see the loving relationship between a grandfather and his granddaughter.

Dear Jesus,

I believe that you took care of Papa's heart and that he is now rejoicing in eternity with you. Comfort the Crim family as they mourn the loss of Papa's presence, joy in life and love for them. Bring them hope as they ponder these beautiful last days with him.

-V- said...

Amen. Thank you, pw.

Anonymous said...

Just read your post about Cait, which brought tears. Now this one brings more tears, especially after having talked to you today and knowing about his passing...I'm so sorry.

Life is precious. Love the photo. I still say you look like your Grandma. :)

Carla said...

Yes, you do look like your beautiful Grandma!