Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Finally Home

I called Mom this morning to ask how last night at PaPa's had gone, and she told me, "not as I had expected. He passed away last night." PaPa lived his life the way he wanted and pushed it to the very end. He only had one really bad day and then he slipped away in his sleep before the sun came up this morning.

We are holding onto hope that PaPa's trust was in Christ and that he is finally at home with the Lord. Tonight we read some passages to the kids about grieving with hope and how much better it is to be with Jesus. Until then they had been having a very difficult time (especially Jay). But since reading together their grief has been lightened. Still, going through our own grief and dealing with and loving them through theirs has exhausted us. I'm thankful they are in bed now.

Please accept my deep gratitude for all of your words of comfort, love, admirations of my PaPa, and especially your prayers. I have felt connected and supported through all of this because of you all, and it has really helped me to be able to post updates as well as write about my thoughts and emotions through this process. Thank-you so much.

The service will be on Friday and then Brian and I will be heading to Michigan with the high-schoolers and our own 4. We are trusting that the Lord's strength will be with us and that He will use this time that we have together and with the teens. If you would, please pray that we will shine with the light of Jesus as we spend time with our extended family this week, many of whom are deeply hurting right now. Also that we might even have opportunities and strength to share with them about Christ.

God is so good. He gives and He takes away. How blessed I have been to be the grand-daughter of Thomas Arthur Jackson... my PaPa.

9 comments:

Carla said...

Aw Jen. I am sorry. Praying for your family as you grieve your handsome, wonderful Papa.

Katie R. said...

I'm sorry Jen. I'll be praying.

Anonymous said...

I have no good words. But I love you!

-V- said...

I love you and am proud to stand beside you as your friend, as you deal with pain authentically and with great courage and faith.

erin said...

Jen, I'm so sorry.

zcoffeegirl said...

Just getting back in the loop here...sorry to have missed out on the opportunity to pray for you during this time. I'm on board, now, sweets. I'm praying...for health, safety and the love of Jesus to shine through you as you grieve. It already does.

Anonymous said...

Jen, I just recently started reading your blog and wanted to tell you how sorry I am about the loss of your Papa. My prayers are with you.

Katie R. said...

Just wanted you to know I'm still thinking about you and praying for you this weekend. Take care.

-V- said...

The funeral today was a such a beautiful time of remembering your Papa, dear friend. Your mom's words were so appropriate, and your song so clear, confident, sweet and true... Jen, I am awed by your strength and radiant faith - yes, even joy! - in the face of this. Awed by your strength to comfort your sweet children as they process through deeper grief - so new to them. Your being the shoulder for your mom's tears as well. I see Him in you. I know it is His strength to sustain you. May you be blessed today, and have continued sustenance as you and Brian continue to serve this weekend... I love you.