Friday, July 25, 2008

Big Changes

Big changes at the Crim house. And before any of you baby-crazy people out there go nuts, NO, I AM NOT PREGNANT! I'll leave that job up to Prego Prestrud. Four is as far as this party barge goes, and no farther, Lord willing.

But a mighty shift in our family has occured, and those of you who know us well will understand how mighty it is... the boys are going to public school.

What a journey this has been! For three years now I have schooled sweet Jay, and last year both he and Ethan, and all the while I have become more convinced that it was what we needed to do. Homeschooling is wonderful--the time with your child, the ability to see the lightbulbs go on inside their little minds, the ample opportunities to process life and faith...the list could go on and on. I have been one of homeschooling's loudest cheerleaders, and will continue to be. Though it is not God's plan for everyone, I believe in it. And by God's grace, we will come back to it.

But when a mom goes so far into her duties of mothering, homemaking, and schooling that she begins to spiral downward into depression, anger, and hopelessness; when her thoughts begin to turn dark and she wonders if her children would be better off without her; when she realizes that most of her interaction with her children is tainted by irritation, anger, resentment, scolding, and anxiety; and when the thought of starting school in one month causes her to crawl into the fetal position...it may be time to lay the mantle of homeschooling down for a season.

Since May I have been begging God to show up in this department. Knowing that I was overwhelmed in every sense of the word, exhausted and beyond tapped out, I cried out for Him to lead, to restore me. But for 2 months now I have felt no answer--no bolt of renewed energy or determination and no release to give up yet. And as the weeks have ticked by, aware that my depression was not lifting despite the break from school, I began to become more concerned that indeed there would be no great change in the time needed. In fact, the darkness was just growing deeper.

Then came Wednesday, when God released me into a new path. The night before I had sat on my bed, crying, journaling, and begging God to deliver me from my melancholy. I now knew that something big needed to change, but asked God to show me what. The next day I ended up going over to a friend's house who, in the course of our time together, expressed to me her concern over my current state and my stubborn refusal to let go of homeschooling. She warned me not to let it become bondage and had many other good things to say. As I pondered her words and my response in my heart, I came to a point of clarity I have long been missing. The change I needed was to let my children go to school and take a time to rest. And what was before a completely unthinkable idea, suddenly was a sweet answer from the One who never forgets to answer--in His time. I knew I was free to follow a different path, and with His blessing.

Brian and I spoke the next night. It was not an easy decision for him, either, and ultimately, it was his to make. As the leader of our home, I must follow him, but I did my best to clearly explain to him my desperation and the depth of my certainty that this was the only option. He did not give his assent immediately, but over the course of the next two days and several conversations, he slowly came to agree and gave me the green light to move forward.

An enormous weight has been lifted from my chest. Along with all the many emotions I am currently feeling--sadness, excitement, uncertainty, and some fear--is the predominant feeling of relief. A new life has been given to me, and a new life is just beginning for our family--an adventure we have not yet experienced. It is hard to express my sense of relief--it is too great for words. I have hope again!

The boys took it like I thought they would: Jay cried and Ethan cried because Jay cried and then said he was excited for recess. My tender-hearted Jay expressed his sadness at not being home, and his shock at the sudden change. But by tonight at bedtime, after listening to our neighbor Lucy (who also attends Jay and Ethan's new school) about all of the fun, interesting, and delicious things that await them this year, they were both expressing their enthusiasm. Ethan wants to start tomorrow. It will be an adjustment, I know. But we will go through it together...because this Momma--as worn out as she is right now--wants nothing more than to walk this road together with her beautiful children, trusting in our gracious God to care for them when she is not by their side. I am scared about this. It is all so new for me. Will He remind them of what is right when they are tempted to choose the wrong? Will He encourage their hearts and hold them close when they are confused or scared? Of course we will do these things when they come home to us in the afternoon, but it is difficult to let them go where I will not be all the time.

So, that's it for now. I'm sure there will be more. I know our decision may be disappointing to some of you. I pray it will not be discouraging. But for those of you out there who love us and feel led, could I ask you to please give me a call sometime over the next few weeks as we settle into this new course...to remind me that God is big, that He will be with my precious boys, and that I can trust His hand? I would so appreciate the encouragement and support of my friends during this tough--and wonderful--transition.

Thanks for listening.

17 comments:

erin said...

Jen, thanks for sharing your feelings so openly. I am so pleased that God spoke to you so clearly and that you and Brian were able to agree on a plan of action. I can understand your fears and am pleased to read that you trust them to God so wholly.
Thanks again. I will be praying for your boys this fall. If my mind-map is working correctly, I think they'll go to the same elementary school I went to! : )

erin said...

*"...trust YOUR CHILDREN to God so wholly."
Sorry.

Naomi said...

I love you so much Jen. You are someone that I am always very excited to see, and I admore your faith so much. I can't begin to imagine what a difficult decision this was for you. I would be on the front lines with you cheering on homeschooling, but I am so happy that God is giving you the rest and relief you need right now. And I am so happy that you are trusting Him enough to TAKE those gifts. God will watch over Jay and Ethan this year, and teach all of you new things through this new life. God loves those boys more than you ever could. Remember that as you watch them start this school year. Love to your amazing Crim Clan.

Katie R. said...

Oh Jen, what a big decision for your family. What a wonderful example of trusting God.

I know how hard it is send your babies off to school, public school. I give Isaiah back to God every morning he walks out my door. I have to.

I too struggle with anxiety, depression, the need to hide in bed under the covers until it "all" goes away. God HAS helped me and has given me strength EVERY step of the way. You keep hanging on to our ABBA and know He loves those boys of yours so very much.

This post has mirrored my exact thoughts and feelings over sending Isaiah out to school that I'm still crying over how you are feeling. God will be with you all every step of the way. What a mighty God He is, too.

I'll be praying for you all as the school year preparations begin.

theswamphare said...

Jenny-Any-Dots, you rock.

I will be the main force behind our homeschooling this season; as we pray for you please pray for our decisions and energy, focus, love diligence and patience. You are and have been a tremendous encouragement and support to us as homeschoolers.

NoOtherName said...

Thank-you, all of you. Your words are a soothing balm and gift of grace to me today. How beautiful is the body of Christ!

swirlingeddy said...

"Delicious things that await them." Yay!

I'm glad you and Brian made a decision that will work best for your family. It will be great!

LadyD said...

Yay Jen! It will take some adjustment time for the boys- but they will be fine! Our shy little Dakota has LOVED school, and it has been a great way to help him learn to stand on his own two feet, make decisions for himself, and toughen up a little bit- so that he will be able to face the real world. I am so proud of you that you made this decision, it must have been so hard. But you have been in such a dark place, it will be fun to see you blossom again into a woman of hope, fun, and smiles! Enjoy those girlies this fall & don't forget to finger paint:)

NoOtherName said...

Yes, Laura, that's one of the things I am most excited about...being able to do things with my girls again instead of being so focused on the boys' school. Oh, the places we will go! The fingers we will paint!

Jennifer Nordin, LMT, CPT said...

My prayers are with you Jen. You are such a dedicated, faithful mom. I am blessed to know you!

-V- said...

My dear, dear friend. I am so proud of you, and thankful for God's working through a faithful friend to encourage you, and bring release. What a beautiful, milestone step of faith and surrender... Plus, I am SO looking forward to getting my fingers full of paint with you and the girls! :-) Love this journeying together; we celebrate with you in full support...

Anushka said...

A trust fall is a trust-building game often conducted as a group exercise in which a person deliberately allows himself to fall, relying on the other members of the group (spotters) to catch him[1]. There are many variants of the trust fall. For instance, in one type, the group stands in a circle, with one person in the middle with arms folded against his chest and falls in various directions, being pushed by the group back to a standing position before falling again. A group member yells "double up!" if his own strength proves insufficient and immediate backup is needed to prevent the person from falling. In another variant, a person stands on an elevated position (such as a stage, stepping stool or tree stump) and falls backward, relying on multiple people to catch him. This variant is potentially more dangerous and therefore it is all the more crucial to have the rest of the group in position and ready to catch him before he steps onto the platform. ~~~~ My sister ~ your heart is so precious... trust falls can be terrifying, but honestly, between friends, family, and God Himself, you will be caught EVERY TIME. There is unmistakable freedom and even happy suprises during the times that you stand on that old stump with shaky knees...you are so courageous- !!! all my love ~ a
p.s. J and T are already planning playground games to share... !!!

Keithslady said...

Jen, I've been asked hundreds of times, "How long do you plan to homeschool?" I often answer, "At least through this year." It's a year by year commitment. I've known many families who took time off for a 'sanity break' or else realized that homeschooling wasn't the best thing for them at all--either for the kids or the mom.$ I remember telling Ellen something like, "I'm sorry, but I just can't handle it all and you're the one who has to go," (she was in 9th grade). A year later I invited her back and she chose to stay in public school for two more years instead (headed back home her senior year).

I'm glad you and Brian are in agreement on how to move forward with this decision. May God use it to bless your family and those new connections that you make. We've had our trials with the school "system" but have also had some wonderful opportunities.

If you choose to venture back to the home school path eventually please let me know and I'd be happy to share some of my methods of working it all out.

NoOtherName said...

Thank's Keithlady, for your grace-filled answer. Coming from someone who has persevered so long in homeschooling SO MANY, your understanding means a lot.

Kara Jo said...

Jen, I'm so glad you did a post on this. I love how you shared your heart and invited others to encourage you in this process.

Three cheers for God!!! I know the road had been long and dark for you lately, and you have carried quite a weight for a while now. So glad God intervened at just the right time and lifted that weight.

As you well know, a year ago I was agonizing over the same decision. I, too, was absolutely convinced of the benefits of homeschooling, but had the growing sense that, at least for now, it wasn't the right fit for me or our family. I felt the same sadness at letting it go--letting Abby go to public school this past year. And I too felt the freedom that came when God released me, led me, and made my path straight.

I'm excited for you guys, and I'm a little selfishly excited, too--we'll both be around and available to do things with our little ones. (Last year was lonely for me.)

Yes, good things are ahead my friend! Praying you get rest and refreshment this year! Love you.

Willow and Sprout said...

What a difficult decision for you Jen! I know how much homeschooling has meant for you. I'm thankful for the grace God has given you to rest in his love, grace, and "lighter yoke". I will be praying for all of you as you move into this new season. Thank you for sharing your heart and struggle. You are not alone dear one, as evidenced by the flood of love sent your way in these responses. Let's chat soon.

Carla said...

I so get what you wrote. Been there myself and found a certain relief in the decision. I am still open to the possibility of homeschooling when Joshua hits the Hormone Jungle next year.
So glad you are moving forward and feeling good about your decision.

Maybe the girls need a playdate with some boys I know?? :)