Saturday, July 05, 2008

5K #4

Got up this morning to run the Syracuse 5K with my sister-in-law Cheryl. My heart was just not in it, though, and as we started up the first hill, I considered dropping out. Running lately has been a mild form of torture for me...something akin to 30 minutes of labor. Every time I start making some progress, I get sick with some virus and lose a week or more of training. So, with only 3 full 3.3 mi. practice runs before the race, I wasn't exactly in great form.

Not only that, but last night I was awakened at 4am by a little girl who couldn't find her sleeping bag and a little boy who also had an issue. The latter took quite a bit of time to remedy, so by the time I was back in bed, I couldn't quite get back to sleep very well. Result: one groggy chica this morning!

After the first mile, though, things started to get easier. Cheryl was way out ahead of me, so I had to talk to other people. That helped and I slogged ahead, reminding myself of parts of Heb. 12:1-3 as I went...

Let us fix our eyes on Jesus and run with perserverance the race marked out for us...

Perserverance. That's what it was all about this morning. Just keep going. Seems like that defines my life these days as well. So many good analogies in running!

Things got easier as I went, and pretty soon I was rounding the final corner. Then I heard my kids yelling for me and jumping up and down, and I sprinted for the line. My goal was just to finish today, but I ended up shaving over a minute off my time from last year. Still not as fast as my first race when Jack-rabbit Vonda just about made me puke from our competitive little run together! But respectable, at least.

All in all, it was fun to run and a good feeling to finish another race. Cheryl finished a full minute-plus before me, with her best time yet (yay!). And I've been reminded once again of the need to just put one foot in front of the other and run with perserverance.

Anyone up for a 10K with me this Fall?

6 comments:

Keithslady said...

Congratulations!! After a 25 year break from running I started a beginners training course for a 5K two weeks ago. I thought my knees would stop me by now but they kind of like it.... Doubt I'll but up to a 10K any time soon. I'm still doing walk-run combos.

Unknown said...

Way to go Jen! The joy of crossing the line is great!

TheKupkaFamily said...

I can relate to the putting one foot in front of the other thing. This past January-April was very much like that for me. But then the next thing I knew I was on the other side of it all :) Hang in there!! You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Kara Jo said...

Good job persevering!

...Jack-rabbit Vonda, eh?

LadyD said...

Sure, I'll run it with you in the Fall. Just let me go buy some tennis shoes first, okay?

Pam said...

Great job Jen! I think running is about 75% mental. Way to get over that block.


Go go go!