Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Crim Family Unplugged


Wow, guys, we've taken the plunge! For so long I've known we really needed to cut back on tv around here, but I've never had the guts to pull the plug. I've rationalized it endlessly, reminding myself of the good sides of a few minutes of relaxation and entertainment. Nevertheless, I've felt like we were missing out on better things--like reading good books, talking together, time in the Word, wrestling matches, games with our kids, and SLEEP. I had the nagging feeling that our lives were being slowly stolen from us by that hypnotic blue light...

On our vacation in October up to a little cabin in the woods there was a tiny tv with 2 channels. It stayed off the entire week, and it was one of the best weeks we've ever had as a family. We played endless games of cards, checkers, Uno, and chess. We set up a firing range outside and took turns pummeling coffee cans with an air rifle beebee gun. Brian took the 3 oldest on a ride in a rowboat while I putzed around in the shallows of the frigid lake wearing hip waders. We took walks and cooked s'mores by the wood burning stove. The kids went to bed not so late, and Brian fell asleep in a chair while I worked a crossword puzzle. We came home after 6days completely refreshed and much closer as a family.

We decided to continue our time without the tube. Monday through Friday around here is no-tv-land, although we do still have our Monday movie night (a tradition) and we sit down together to watch "Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader" on Thursday nights. But no more cartoons in the afternoon or "Raymond" after the kids go down. I figure we've cut at least 10 hours of tv out of the house, between us and the kids.

The result? I have more energy. No kidding! I, who many days felt like I could barely make it until I could just relax on the couch and watch Oprah while the kids napped, am now not so tired in the afternoons. And when I still am, I take a nap. We are talking more, enjoying each other more, doing stuff together more. Our family feels alive, more joyful, and less bored. The kids have hardly asked for their old shows. And we enjoy the select few that we watch even more for the treat that they are.

I'm not preaching against tv here. It's not bad in itself. But what we've learned this past month is that it can steal away some of the really good stuff in life. The stuff that really matters. For us it has been a good trade.

6 comments:

Pam said...

Good job on finding ways to have more meaningful family time.

Your time up north sounded wonderful.

-V- said...

Go Crims! Love watching your family discover and evolve...

Jeff Burton said...

It's almost bad in itself.

Swirlingeddy said...

Check out what my friend from college wrote a few days before you:

Blight or Babysitter?

LadyD said...

Thanks Jen- I loved your insights- We really need to work on this- You gave me a good push! I am so tired of Spongebob. LD

Joey said...

Good thoughts for sure! I've been debating junking cable for a while. It's not cheap, I just hate to give up being able to watch some of those sports games! But then, at the end of the day, how important really are they? And it's way cheaper to just go to Buffalo Wild Wings for those times that I really want to see a game I can't get.

Anyway, all I'm trying to say is, good post...