Thursday, January 04, 2007

Glass Doesn't Last Long Around Here

This is the result of our latest glass-tastrophy. Apparently Ethan was on his bed for a time-out while Mommy was gone trying desperately to regain some sanity. We'll never know what inspired our little monkey to think that the light fixture's glass could support 45 lbs. of weight. And yet, somehow, the thought entered his 4 year old cranium and was acted upon. I wonder how long it held him before it broke...? He then fell down onto the footboard and the glass thingy fell on top of him and then shattered as it hit the footboard as well. Daddy was not amused. I have to admit that I was...after all, I wasn't there to deal with the disaster cleanup!
This is the most recent in a growing list of glass-breakage events in our household. To date we have lost the glass to our entertainment center door (by one of the chitlins slamming it), the glass in our big picture over our couch (by a toy thrown at it), the picture window (by Ethan's head or body--we didn't discover the crack until we got back from 5 weeks in Indiana), and the lid to our upstairs toilet (by a tantrum-throwing boy kicking the wall during time out and subsequently knocking the picture above the toilet off the wall and onto the lid). Impressive, huh? Makes us wonder if it's really a good idea to install french doors between our living room and dining room for some much-needed noise reduction...what are the chances of all those little panes surviving the next 10 years in our house with our boys?

6 comments:

kristi noser said...

I'd wait. At least until they're teenagers, but then again, one of the neighborhood teens broke one of our windows just last summer....
Maybe wait until they're out of the house!

kristi noser said...

Jen, would you like a visit from the sanity fairy this week?
I have enough dust to come visit on Friday and do some sprinklin'.

Pam said...

I'd say your odds are against you on those French doors. At least wait until you know if your having another boy, or not. :)

We've just begun the process of replacing exterior windows and the kids have been threaten that their allowances will be docked for years to come should they get broken.

Carla said...

Jen, I feel your pain. Glass does not live long in our house either.

Keithslady said...

I HATE GLASS! I have 8 boys. Those facts go together. But it's not just glass, or small children. I have a hole where my then 10 year old son jumped to see if he could touch the ceiling with his elbow. He could. I have a hole in the wall in my kitchen where my then about 18 year old son (initials JBW) jabbed the end of a broom he was using to hit a wasp. The glass panels in one of the doors are just getting boarded up one at a time until I can get a steel door...

May God give you great grace during your upcoming delivery.

Joey said...

The whole story is not being told here!!!

There was a wasp nest in the oven vent that went outside. I took the vent apart and tried to push the wasp next out onto the ground outside from the kitchen inside with the broom handle. One wasp decided to chase me. I decided to run. With the broom handle in hand.

Hence, the hole in the drywall in the kitchen (in a 12- by 20-inch portion of the kitchen in which no less than three different types of walls - drywall, paneling, wallpaper, etc. - exist).

She could at least be grateful that she never got stung by that wasp because her strong, burly boys got rid of the wasps. The hole in the wall was a small price to pay.