Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Competency?

It's been 2 weeks since I've gotten something posted on here. I've started a couple, but not finished them amongst all my preparation for school starting tomorrow. Which brings me to the conversation Jay and I had at lunch today...

We wound up talking about fruits and vegetables after I told the boys that if you eat too many carrots and similar veggies your skin will turn yellow. They thought that was cool, but I decided to continue the educational experience by quizzing Jay on whether certain foods were either fruits or vegetables, as determined by whether they contain seeds or not. We went through the obvious ones: apples, watermelon, celery, strawberries (not as obvious to Jay--he finally learned what those "dots" are on the outside!), cherries, grapes. Then, just to be funny, I said, "what about eggs?" He thought for a second and then we both grinned, catching the joke. "They're just eggs," he answered. Not wanting to miss the chance to inform him further, I corrected (in all seriousness, I'm embarrassed to say), "actually, they're dairy--they come from cows".

Probably 15 seconds went by in silence, myself being completely unaware of my mistake, before Jay said, "wait--don't eggs come from chickens?" The light flashed on inside my cranium and we both just laughed.

So as we head into our second year of homeschooling, isn't it reassuring to know that my kids are being taught by someone so competent?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I absolutely love blog posts that make me laugh out loud at work. Thanks!!!

Joey said...

I was just going to let you know that you made me laugh out loud at work, but that would be pretty much just copying Mr. Stream.

Oh well. I'll just be a copycat. Great stuff!

kristi noser said...

You could always call them "cackleberries"--then they can be a fruit. That big yellah thang? Well, that's the seed!

Carla said...

Hey, I read it twice cause I didn't see anything wrong with what you wrote...4 kids will do that to ya!!

erin said...

I, too, laughed out loud at work. I'm that weird laughing girl.